Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Adventures with Sara Green - Massada and the Dead Sea

So, the first set of pictures I have managed to go through and get up on the internet are from our trip to Massada and the Dead Sea.  Here is a link to the photo album: click here!

So, 5 girls, one car and we all got along for the entire trip!

So, the Dead Sea, which I have talked about before, is called ים המלח or Sea of Salt in Hebrew, because it is over 33% salt.  Compare this to the Atlantic or Pacific ocean which are both around 3% salt.  It's crazy how your feet just come out from under you and you float.  It can be hard to get your feet back down to the bottom of the ocean.  You don't want to go under the water, or get it in your eyes or near you mouth.  It is quite gross.  You can ask Dikla, she has first hand experience with how nasty a dive in the Dead Sea is, as she accidentally slipped under during our trip.  Don't worry, a long shower on the beach and back at the hotel and she was 90% back to normal.  A coke zero, food, a good nights sleep and climbing to a higher altitude also helped.

After a long drive, and an afternoon relaxing at the Dead Sea, we got an early start in the morning to head up to the top of Massada.  We took the cable cars, since our hike around Petra, was coming up soon.  For some history on Massada, check out the Wikipedia page, here.  And for those who want the quick summary of why these mountain top fortified ruins are cool, here's the summary paragraph from the Wikipedia article I've linked to above:

Masada (Hebrew מצדה, pronounced About this sound Metzada, from מצודה, metzuda, "fortress") is the name for a site of ancient palaces and fortifications in the Southern District of Israel, on top of an isolated rock plateau, or horst, on the eastern edge of the Judaean Desert, overlooking the Dead Sea. Masada is best known for the violence that occurred there in the first century CE. In the final accords of the First Jewish–Roman War, the Siege of Masada by troops of the Roman Empire allegedly led to the mass suicide of the Sicarii rebels although there is no archaeological evidence to support this. Masada is located at 31°18'56"N, 35°21'14"E, about 20 kilometres (12 mi) east of Arad.

After all this it was time to get back in the car...however the next part of the adventure is the tale of another blog post!  Which I promise will be up soon!  I took a lot of pictures and I'm still trying to go through them all, as I don't think anyone wants to look though my top 600 favorite pics from the rest of the trip.  I'll try to keep it to under 100 for Petra and under 75 for Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.

No comments:

Post a Comment