Thursday, February 16, 2012

Going to the Doctors in Israel

Well, let me say, I didn't hurt myself or anything like that.  I know that's people's first assumption.  I've had a cold since I got back from Paris, that has turned into a sinus infection.  Going to the doctor here was a bit intimidating, however, I made it through just fine.  If the American system worked as efficiently and easily as the Israeli system, then I think people would be a whole lot happier with health care in the US.

The first time you go to the Dr., you have to call the special number and give some info.  Then they give you the phone numbers of the clinics which are closest to you and part of your insurance plan.  There is one around the corner from my apartment and one pretty much next door to the building I work in at the Technion.  Once you go, it's easy.  No waiting, as everyone is given 30 minutes for an appointment, you see the Dr, get the sheet for your tests and walk out with tests complete, prescriptions and a follow up appointment.  Generally this takes less than 30 minutes too!  It's brilliant!  Thankfully everyone speaks English.  Although, I was able to make the appointment and talk to the woman at the main desk mostly in Hebrew, so that's a step in the right direction.

Well, now it's time to figure out which pharmacy I can get my prescription at, as of course they didn't have my non-penicillin based antibiotics at the pharmacy on campus...

No comments:

Post a Comment