Memorial Day in Israel is a much much bigger event than it is in the US. The Technion closed at noon today. Yesterday, the University had a memorial service for all the fallen soldiers who went to the Technion and therefore closed for 2 hours. Last night at sun down, the television stations stopped showing shows and either had something up about the memorial day or else showed memorial day services from all over the country. The bomb sirens went off last night at 8PM for 2 minutes for a moment of silence, where literally the entire country stops and remembers. (This also happened in the morning on Holocaust Remembrance day last week.) This morning the sirens went off again at 11AM. I was in the mall when they went off, having just left the gym and needing to grab something at the superpharm. The mall played the siren over the loud speaker and everyone stopped. The cashiers stopped checking people out, everyone in the mall stopped where they were and stood still for 2 minutes remembering. They were remembering family and friends who died fighting for this countries existence and their freedom.
The connection Israeli's have to Israel is something that I don't think many American's have to America. Living here, even though I'm not Jewish and I'm not Israeli, the connection I feel to Israel is strong. My friends who are Israeli have friends and family members who died fighting for the freedom of this country. All of my Israeli friends served in the military. All Israeli's have served in the military. It is required when you are 18 to do 2-3 years of service. Is this what makes their connection to this land so much stronger than the connection most other people feel for their country? In America could we ever get the entire country to stop for two minutes and reflect on our freedom?
Tomorrow, marks a much much happier day here in Israel. Tomorrow is Independence day. 64 years ago Israel gained it's independence. So the saddest day of the year is followed by the happiest. Tonight, when Independence day starts streets are shut down and there are outdoor concerts all over the city of Haifa and other cities across Israel. Tomorrow, everyone will be having BBQ's and celebrating, just like we do on the fourth of July, but the sentiment here is much more celebratory and excited. Maybe it is because this is such a new country. Maybe it is because the connection people feel to this land, but I know that I am looking forward to happiness that tomorrow will bring and to experiencing some more Israeli traditions.
No comments:
Post a Comment