Sunday, June 10, 2012

Israeli Doctors

In order to use the gym in Israel, one must get a letter from a doctor saying they are healthy enough for exercise.  This has to be done each year.  I've avoided getting this letter since I signed up for the gym, but they told me I won't be allowed to work out if I don't get it by July 1st, so I decided to go get the letter. I went to my usual clinic, however the doctor I usually see wasn't working. I thought, since it was on the Technion campus that any of the doctors would speak English. I was wrong! My doctor this morning spoke Russian and Hebrew. She did try Russian on me, but I told her that Hebrew was better even though I barely speak that. After asking me the same question five or six times and me just saying I don't understand! She finally resorted to hand gestures. She pretended to hit herself and then said "Ouch!" and repeated her question.  I took this to mean do you have any pain. Then she said she had to examine me, this I understood some of because the word for test and the word for examination at the doctor's office seem to be the same or at least very similar.  Or perhaps she used that word because she knew I would know it. The exam consisted of her taking my pulse, blood pressure and listening to me breath for about 10 minutes before she handed me a letter and said good bye.

I did have someone in my lab check, according to the letter I am healthy enough to work out... However, being spoken to in Russian and Hebrew and barely understanding any of it, does not make a for a good start to my week. This was all before 8AM...

No comments:

Post a Comment