I must say that having Tuesday as a hump day and Thursday as my Friday really does make the week go by faster. I'm sure if I ever get used to this Sunday-Thursday work week it won't seem better, but it's not easy getting used to it!
I had a great time out last night with some of my english speaking friends, who also speak Hebrew. I had buffalo wings for the first time here. They weren't bad. I have a fun filled weekend of birthday parties and wandering around to find curtains and a few other things for my apartment. I'm really looking forward to it. I also will be doing some experimenting with cooking, as I have to figure out what I'm bringing to Thanksgiving dinner next Thursday! I love that we're having a huge Thanksgiving feast, complete with turkey. I know that this Thanksgiving will be more epic than my last Thanksgiving abroad in Denmark.
My Hebrew is coming along, slowly but surely. I spend at least a half hour a day studying it. I'm trying to expand my knowledge by also using Hebrew for dummies. I can bumble along at introducing myself and spend a lot of time pointing at things saying that one! In Hebrew, which is a vast improvement over last week, when I couldn't even say that one...so someday, I'll be able to order my food in Hebrew and maybe even my americana with cold milk in the morning.
So a recipe...I'm making up the name, as I kind of made up the dish based on some food my friends made me. I'm not the best at measuring things, so add more or less spice to taste!
Israeli Chicken
1/2 lb ground chicken breast
1 onion
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 medium eggplants, small cubes
1 6 oz container plain yogurt
Juice and zest of one lemon
Pita
Hummus
2 tablespoons zaatar
1 tablespoon sumac
Olive Oil for sautéing
Mix plain yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest and about 1 clove of chopped garlic and mix well. Cut onion in half, then cut in half moons and begin sautéing. Add eggplant as the onions get tender and add remainder of the garlic. Add Zaatar after about 3 minutes of sautéing eggplant. Meanwhile being browning the chicken. Add the sumac to the chicken once it is mostly browned. Warm pitas for serving. Once everything is cooked, mix chicken and veggie mixture. Cut pitas in half and spread with hummus. Top with veggie and chicken mixture. Top that with the garlic, lemon yogurt and enjoy!
**All spices here contain salt. You may need to add salt if your spices are salt free!
Also I have a new obsession with the WhatsApp app. If you have it, let me know and I'll add you to my friend's list so we can text and send picture texts! Hope everyone is doing well.
No comments:
Post a Comment