Friday, November 4, 2011

Three Weeks!

At some point, I really think I will stop counting the weeks I've been here.  Then again, maybe not!  It's fun for me.  I have experienced a lot in my three weeks here, and I am sure I have a lot more adventures to come.  I'm looking forward to them all. Today, I once again ventured to the shuk.  I will post pictures soon.  I have to go some Wednesday evening when it's not so crowded you can't move and you're fighting with everyone around you. I do find it an inspiring place when it comes to cooking. All those colors and flavors, it's just breathe taking.  I love how everyone I know shares their favorite places with me and I'm already starting to share my favorite places with them.  It's so nice. I also got to enjoy, what is called, the best hummus place in Israel.  It was amazing. Hummus here is served in a large bowl with your choice of toppings - mushrooms and onions, meat, chicken, chickpeas, pine nuts.  You're given lots of pita, onions, olives, pickles and some other veggies for dipping.  It really is incredible!  The place I went today also has "deconstructed" hummus.  (It has another name, but I can't remember what it is.) It's tahini, which here is frequently made into a sauce with lemon juice, olive oil and water, with chick-peas, lemon juice, olive oil and parsley.  It was also delicious. The fries with garlic, sumac and lemon were to die for.  I have to say, the food here is delicious!  I have an obsession.

Today, I also braved the butcher counter.  It was an experience.  I went to the kosher grocery store near me, so I only bought chicken (apparently the Kosher beef isn't very good), but I'm quite proud of this accomplishment.  I've been dreading going, as I've heard horror stories of people being yelled at, but it went fine for me. My limited Hebrew and the advice I had received from people were enough to make the experience a success and I got chicken breasts and ground chicken.

Last night I went to a gathering of the Haifa English speakers called Polish Surprise Bar.  One of the members had a 10 hour layover in Poland recently and he bought a bunch of liquors and we all sampled them.  We didn't know what they were, because none of us read Polish, but we made up names based on the pictures.  The names included Polish limoncello, Polish Peasant (which was ok), Polish Dog (which was terrible) and too sweet peach.  I lost track of time and was out much later than planned, which required me to take the night bus home.  I was happy that the couple from Madagascar was also with me, but the night bus here is an experience.  It is the cheapest roller coaster ride one will ever take!  The bus ride to the event took about 35 to 40 minutes.  The bus ride home took less than 15.  This only adds to my belief that people in Israel can't drive!

Tomorrow, I am adventuring to the science museum, Madatech.  It's located in the original Technion building.  I feel that it's a good choice for another potentially rainy day.  I hope everyone is doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment