Well, today I experienced hummus, Israeli style. You go out and order a bowl of hummus with things on top, I chose chick peas. Then you get a lot of pita, some veggies and olives and dig in to a giant bowl of hummus. It's pretty awesome!
It was a low key day today. I went to the Technion to fill out some paper work and get trained after the new microscope was installed. (The microscope is impressive! I won't geek out too much about it, but damn do I need to learn about bright-field microscopy now!) Then I met the woman who used to live in my apartment, Christina, and her boyfriend. She came to move the remainder of her things out and to introduce me to the landlords so that I could sign my lease, known here as a contract. I wasn't actually able to sign it today, as they insisted I had a native Hebrew speaker read it over so that I would know they weren't trying to trick me in any way. I guess this is another initiation into the fact that people here don't trust anyone. Also, you have to give them the rent checks for the entire length of your contract up front and they give you a date each month, it's the 10th for me, which they will cash them. So weird!
Tomorrow is a day full of big adventures for me. I'm going to take the bus and head to another part of Haifa called the Hadar. I'll be going to the big outdoor market and the shops down there. I'm sure I'll have some tail of ensuing hilarity after this experience!
No comments:
Post a Comment