Today, with the help of Jon and Lisa, I ventured to Wadi Nisnas. Jon, is an American post-doc in my department and his wife, Lisa, is a material scientist. They are both doing post-docs at the Technion and were incredibly helpful in answering my laundry list of questions as I was preparing to move to Haifa. They took me to the Arab quarter and to the markets there today. Wadi Nisnas is located in Hadar, just like the Shuk and is a smaller version of the Shuk. I got a lot more fresh veggies today and a number of spices including Zaatar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Za'atar) and Sumac (I think that's how you spell it). Last night when Jon and Lisa made me dinner they used both of these spices and they were amazing! I'm excited to cook with them. Well the Sumac I'll be using in a cucumber, tomato, pepper salad, but still if it involves cutting and mixing it's still cooking! I'm going to include some pictures from today too!

A view heading down to the Arab quarter. The architecture is very different from our ow and the streets are very narrow in this section of the city.
One of the stands in the market. This is tiny compared to those in the Shuk.
A view up the street Wadi Nisnas. Generally it's called Wadi for short.
More of the fruits and veggies!
I had to get one of the palm trees and the narrow streets!
Tomorrow I'm hoping to head to the Bahi'a Gardens, so lots more pictures should result from that trip! Hope everyone is doing well back home!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment