Well today I took the bus. I initially got on the wrong bus, took it back to the stop that I had gotten on said wrong bus and then got on the correct bus. I always mess up and get on the wrong bus at three times in the first month I'm in a new foreign city. So at least I got one time out of the way! On the bus I met up with Laurel, one of my many helpful guides through Haifa. It was really nice to hang out with someone and start to learn the lay of the land in Hadar. In Hadar there is a giant market, called a shuk, which is INCREDIBLE! It was totally overwhelming to walk around a football field sized produce market! I got some amazing fruits and veggies there and will be truly venturing into cooking tonight by making a stir-fry. I also went to a great little cafe on Masda Street, which made me feel like I was back in Northampton as I was surrounded by hipsters. Apparently hipsters are everywhere! I have to learn if there is a Hebrew word for hipster, or if it is another english word that is used universally. Internet is used everywhere! I can understand that word whenever it is said to me! I'm not sure I'm quite ready to venture to the shuk for actual shopping on my own, as I don't really know my numbers in Hebrew, but I just might try it anyway.
I also was shown Hertzl street, which allowed me to get a number of kitchen items and a laundry basket. The laundry basket will be double as a night side table until I go to Ikea on Tuesday to get more furniture. Once I have the apartment furnished, I will post pictures of it! I don't think that my mattress on the floor and TV stand for a coffee table are picture worthy, but my kitchen is coming together, which is really nice. I'll hopefully also pick up some things to hang on the wall while I'm at Ikea. I hope it doesn't take too long to have everything delivered to my apartment, as I'm not about to try to bring my furniture purchases on the bus, train, bus that is required to get there.
I'm really starting to settle into my new home. The waitresses at Kios cafe know me by sight now and just automatically bring me a menu in english, which is nice. Someone recognizes me! Woohoo! Currently it is the end of Sukkot. The fall harvest holiday. Once again everything is closed, just like it is on Shabbat. I'm also adjusting to the fact that a lot of the city and my neighborhood shutdown around 2 or 3. This usually only occurs on Friday's, but since I've had one Friday/Saturday, Shabbat, and now a holiday, I'm really adjusting to that and quickly.
The next steps in my adventure here include going to the beach and seeing the Baha'i gardens! I also need to check out one of the many "Irish Pubs" that seem to abound in this city!
I'm thinking of everyone and miss you all lots! I'll have internet soonish in my apartment so we can all communicate more easily, but internet on my phone has aided me in texting via google voice, so keep the text messages coming!
Market sounds awesome...can't wait to see some pictures! Do you barter for the produce or is it a set price?
ReplyDeleteMiss you!
Melissa
Melissa, I think you can barter, but being that I speak about 7 works of Hebrew, I wasn't about to try. It was also really inexpensive. I'll be taking pictures soon. Just trying to get the lay of the land first...then I'm all over the picture taking. :-) Miss you too!!! I'll have the internet in the next week or two and then we'll be able to Skype!
ReplyDelete